Morning Motivations

It's officially after 9:30 in the morning and I feel so unmotivated. I could care less about taking a walk or feeling this summer sun recharge the melanin of my skin. I'm feeling pretty exhausted. A little drained. Mentally fogged.

It's my own fault, really. I fell asleep after midnight. No, I didn't stay up to binge OITNB as planned. I haven't even started the new season yet. That, I'm surprised. I was up reading, chatting on Twitter, and drowning in YouTube.

The weird thing is that even though currently I'm psychologically affected by this sleep deprivation, my body allowed me to sleep for 9 hours. The National Sleep Foundation states the recommendation for adults is around 7 to 9. The last few weeks, I would get up religiously at 7 a.m. regardless of whether I had a proper 8 hours or if I'd fallen asleep at 3 a.m.

There has be a link. A link to sleep and our motivations to get up in the morning to push on with the day. The lack of sleep seems to be affecting my usual urge to exercise, because it will soon be 10:00 and I'm still in my night gown.


I will take into consideration that I've been going pretty hard on in my workouts this week. An intense 7 mile walk yesterday. A fasted weight training session the day before. A fast-paced Zumba cardio session the day before that... Maybe, I should listen to the research from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research which tells me I deserve a proper recovery day. Maybe this is my body's signal to take it easy.

On the other hand, I honestly can't bring myself to do it. I think of going back to flying for work next month, and I just see myself struggling to zip up uniform dress. What once fit me light a glove 6 months ago, is now a hard slap to my self-esteem. So, here is  where I can make the change. I can force myself to climb out of bed on days like this.

It doesn't have to be a full on HIIT workout or power lifting session. I can simply roll out of bed and start my day with a low intensity workout. I'm thinking yoga, a leisure walk, or a swim at the community pool. The point is for me to get up and reap the continued benefits of daily exercise. My body needs the positive effects of mental alertness and a speedy metabolism to energize me for the day ahead. The thought of that alone makes me want to get out my fog.

So, I'll take the first step. Will you join me?


Comments

Popular Posts